Thursday, September 20, 2007

Week 4 - RSS Feeds

Well i suprise myself everyday and have found time to excel into week 4 activity which is learning about RSS Feeds. I have had some previous experience using RSS feeds but very minimul, when i purchased my Song Ericsson mobile phone i was curious to see what this curious looking orange RSS symbol meant.

Soon enough i was exploring and found out that it was a RSS feed to BBC America and gave me update everyday on current events around the world..well I must say that this intrigued me enough to look into RSS readers at a very beginner stage and suss out what is available out there. I noticed that one of my favorite websites Flight Centre had recently introduced RSS feeds into its website and i was curious to see how it worked on a desktop computer.
So off i went and downloaded a feeder program one similar to Bloglines and started using it. At the beginning it was great, then one day it decided to stop working and wasn't updating anymore..i don't know why and lost interest in the whole program.

So here i am again attempting to use RSS and it has been good and as i remember it. Interesting though that you can add your blogline to your own blog - i know in the exercise it asks you to just add your RSS Feeds into the post with the address line but i thought i might explore a bit more and have added a Blogrole to the left of my blog so people can always have quick and easy access to my feeds.

It was an interesting experience to add feeds and i must say i was a bit apprehensive in adding fellow library 2.0 blogs as seeing i was making my feeds public may tap into privacy issues..so therefore i did have a go of adding their blogs to my feeds but have now deleted them so rest assured my feeds are all public and contain only news and holiday items...an i even added the Library 2.0 public libraries blog....yey... I am getting the hang of it and getting hooked...i think i need all the exercises unlocked so i can finish it...well until next time bye for now

No comments: